Monsunen - a Flying carpet
First, take a look at the ride in motion.
- How can you characterize the motion?
- Does it matter which place you choose?
- During what part of the motion do you feel the heaviest? The lightest?
If you could bring a little slinky
along, how do you think it will look during
the different parts of the ride?
Take a look at the graph below, which shows the total "g-force"
and the elevation for a similar ride at Gröna Lund, Stockholm.
- "It was very short at the top"
- "... and you felt nearly weightless there"
- "At the bottom, it was this long"
- "... and at the sides, it hang to the side like this"
- Is there any point during the ride where you will tend to lift
from the seat?
- Do all turns take the same amount of time?
- Does the time for a turn affect the maximum force on the rider?
- At what part of the ride do you feel the heaviest?
- The lightest?
- Does the ride move with constant speed during a turn?
Note: The elevation data are based on air pressure measurements, causing
an artificial elevation dependence on the speed.
AMP, Feb 2010